Today’s Toronto has an area of 641 square kilometres or 247 square miles and encompasses many historic communities, including the Town of York and the former townships of Etobicoke, Scarborough, and York. Over the years, there have also been many incorporated and unincorporated within those townships. This guide to sources covers the whole of today’s Toronto.
For more information about the growth and development of Toronto, see these pages.
Research in a big city has both challenges and benefits. The following pages will help you navigate the records for Toronto and discover some unique resources.
- City Directories
- Birth, Marriage, and Death Records (coming soon)
- Census Records (coming soon)
- Land Records (coming soon)
- Biographical Sources
- Manuscript Collections (coming soon)
- Probate Records (coming soon)
- Municipal Records (coming soon)
- School Records
Toronto has a wonderful cluster of archives and libraries. Visit this page for their locations, contact information and a summary of their strengths.