Early families in the area now known as Toronto buried their dead in churchyards and in cemeteries set aside on their farms, or in small community or denominational cemeteries. By the 1850s, most of these small cemeteries had been pushed out of the more urban City of Toronto, and farm burials were rare even in the more rural surrounding townships. Some of the cemeteries that were founded by a particular religious group became non-denominational in the 20th century. Be sure to check for burials there, even if your ancestor was not of that faith.
The pressure of urban growth led to the development of commercial cemeteries. The first non-sectarian cemetery was Potter’s Field Cemetery in Yorkville at the north-west corner of Bloor and Yonge Streets, also known as the Strangers’ Burying Ground and York General Burying Ground, established in 1826 and closed in 1855. The Toronto Necropolis followed in 1850 and Mount Pleasant Cemetery in 1876.
Potter’s Field, the Necropolis and Mount Pleasant were the start of the cemetery group now known as the Mount Pleasant Group of Cemeteries. The Group now includes Prospect Cemetery, Pine Hills Cemetery, and York Cemetery. The Group’s burial records can be viewed at their head office at Suite 500, 65 Overlea Blvd. Toronto. See: http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/otherinquiries/cemeteries/contactus. The Mount Pleasant Group burial records up to 1935 have been digitized and indexed and are available at FamilySearch.org under “Toronto Trust Cemeteries”.
DIRECTORY OF TORONTO CEMETERIES (IN PROGRESS)
The following directory will include all known cemeteries in what is now Toronto. Our identification code includes three letters designating the pre-1998 municipality in which the cemetery was located: ETB for Etobicoke, EYK for East York, NYK for North York, SCR for Scarborough, TRN for Toronto, and YRK for York. Be sure to look at cemeteries in neighbouring municipalities for your ancestor. Consult our Toronto Cemeteries Map.
TRN-011 St. Michael’s Cemetery
Location: Ten acres south of the buildings on the south side of St. Clair Avenue West between Yonge Street and Foxbar Road, and north of Balmoral Avenue
Address: 1408A Yonge Street, Toronto
OGS cemetery identification: 4858
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Established: 1855 and for the next 50 years was the burial place for most Toronto Catholics. Burials continued through the 20th century.
Administered by: Catholic Cemeteries, Archdiocese of Toronto
Available on microfilm at Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto Archives
Indexed transcriptions available for sale:
Volume 1: Burials 1855-1870
Volume 2: Burials 1871-1878
Volume 3: Burials 1879-1884
Volume 4: Burials 1885-1888