An ongoing research project of the Ontario Genealogical Society, Toronto Branch

Park Lot 5

Sherbourne Street to George and Huntley Streets

Granted to Chief Justice William Osgoode, 4 September 1793, who was listed in the York Report as non-resident. Osgoode lost his right to Park Lot 5, and it was patented by Deputy Surveyor General David William Smith 6 March 1798.

On 17 March 1819, David William Smith of Alnwick, Northumberland, England, transferred Park Lot 5 to Duncan Cameron of York (agent) for £500.

A week later, on 24 March 1819, Cameron sold Park Lot 5 to William Allan for £500. William Allan began the process of subdividing Park Lot 5, in 1849, and his son George William Allan continued the process, incorporating a space for the Horticultural Gardens.

Points of Interest

  • Allan Gardens on Carlton Street
  • Homewood Avenue, named for “Home Wood”, the cottage built by George William Allan
  • The curves on Wellesley Street (formerly Wellesley Crescent), and on Dundas Street (formerly Wilton Crescent), go from lot line to lot line of Park Lot 5. George William Allan’s developer would have laid out streets only within the Park Lot.

Today, the most prominent reminder of Park Lot 5 is Allan Gardens. This 1910 palm house serves as entry to 16,000 square feet of greenhouses. (photo by Jane E. MacNamara, July 2010)