Was the Toronto community of Brockton named for War of 1812 hero Sir Isaac Brock?
Well, no. As Stephen Otto tells us in a new article for the Simcoe’s Gentry project, it was named for Sir Isaac’s not-so-famous cousin James Brock who was granted Park Lot 30.
An officer with the 49th Regiment of Foot and private secretary . . . → Read More: A widow leaves her mark on Toronto
Not much is known about Joseph Dainty, but he petitioned twice for land from Lt.-Gov. Simcoe. On July 10, 1793, he requested a lot in the new town being developed at Toronto as well as a 200-acre farm close by, and this request was granted three days later. A month later, he made a specific request . . . → Read More: The Mysterious Joseph Dainty
It was April 1796, and Simcoe was concerned. The town did not seem to be developing as quickly as it should and a few of his government officials were making every excuse to delay their move to York. Some of the grants made in September of 1793 (perhaps in haste) now needed clarification, and the allocation . . . → Read More: The York Report: Settling in
In 1793, the area along the Lake Ontario shoreline just west of the Don River was surveyed as the Town of York, the new capital of Upper Canada. To encourage “suitable” government officials to move to the new town and undertake the work of establishing homes and businesses there, John Graves Simcoe, the newly-appointed Lieutenant-Governor of Upper . . . → Read More: Toronto’s Park Lots: The Granting Process
The fire at Yonge and Gould Streets yesterday consumed the upper stories of a 19th century commercial building that was built in 1888 by William Reynolds on property he purchased in 1847. Reynolds was one of the first bakers in Toronto and his shop was situated at the corner of Yonge and Gould. This morning, The . . . → Read More: Gould Street Fire consumes a bit of Toronto’s past