The Town of Aurora is situated on Yonge Street, the main artery running through the centre of York Region (the former York County). With one foot in King Township, another in Whitchurch Township it was also directly connected with Vaughan, Markham, East and North Gwillimbury, and Georgina. Aurora’s long-running newspaper, the Banner, was a logical place to announce marriages and deaths for all these communities. Local volunteers, familiar with names and locations, have painstakingly created a name index and added a spouse cross-reference appendix.
In addition to the Aurora Banner, entries have been included from the following sources:
- Aurora Borealis newspaper
- History of Toronto and the County of York, vol II, biographical notices. Toronto: C. Blackett Robinson, 1885.
- Britnell, Wiliam E. (compiler) County Marriage Registers of Ontario, Canada, 1858–1869. vol 6: York Co. Toronto: Generation Press, 1980.
- and assorted other items from the Aurora Museum